2015 Quilt Conference and Quilt Dialogue Coming in April!
The African American Heritage Alliance and From Africa to Appalachia Foundation are presenting the African American Quilt Conference of Appalachia on April 10 & 11. This event is being held at Rose Center in Morristown, Tennessee and will highlight the cultural significance of quilting and quilt preservation in the African American tradition. Rooted in central Appalachia, this conference will be an opportunity for an active cultural exchange between national quilting experts, historians, artists, and community members to discuss and share ideas about the medium of quilting.
- The conference is free and open to the public.
- Keynote Address: “In the Spirit of the Cloth: African American Quilt History by Dr. Carolyn L. Mazloomi of Ohio. Click on her name for full bio! Friday night, 6 pm
- Opening Reception for Quilt Exhibit, Friday, 7 pm
- Hands-on workshops will be held on Friday and Saturday afternoons from 1-5. Instructors for the workshops are Marquetta Johnson and Aisha Lumumba of Atlanta, and Aundra McCoy of Memphis. See below for information on the workshops.
- Film: Women of Gees Bend;9 am Saturday following the film Dr. Mazloomi will facilitate a panel discussion with Johnson, Lumumba, and McCoy.
- Noon Saturday: Catered lunch–$10; please reserve your spot by registering through the link below
- Black/White/Colors: A Dialogue about Quilts and Family Stories.
Sat, 1 pm. Bring a family quilt and share your story and listen to other family stories about quilts.
- Running parallel to the conference is a month-long exhibit in the Edith Davis Gallery at Rose Center featuring quilts by the guest panelists and local African American quilters. Exhibit curators are Sammie Nicely and Bob Spirko.
For More Information on the workshops, including WHAT TO BRING! click on the links below:
Steppin’ Out: Raw Edge Applique Quilting Class information: Aisha-Raw Edge Applique Quilting Class (1 pm Fri; 1 pm Sat)
Hattie’s Floral Mini-Quilt Workshop: Marquetta Johnson Floral Mini Quilt Workshop (1 pm Fri; 1 pm Sat)
Mixed Media Quilting: Aundra McCoy – Mixed Media Quilting (3 pm Fri; 3 pm Sat)